Club Announcements

Members may post announcements here. If you are a member but are unable to post, please contact Steve. If you are not a member, but have an event to announce that might be of widespread interest to the members of Big Sky Rocketry Association, please send your announcements to

Tripoli Montana Election Held - Blood runs in the street!

posted Feb 13, 2018, 2:30 PM by Steve Shannon

Following a very bitterly fought election Andrew Horton emerged victorious as our Prefect. (Fake News! Andy is the Prefect, but there was no bitter fighting or any other kind of fighting.) Also, Calvin McAllister has kindly volunteered to serve as our Tripoli Secretary for 2018.  His campaign was also not subject to discord.
Congratulations and Thanks to both of these fine gentlemen.

2018 Launch Schedule

posted Feb 13, 2018, 2:26 PM by Steve Shannon   [ updated Feb 13, 2018, 2:57 PM ]

All Launches will be held at the Twin Bridges Launch Site.

All launches are covered by Tripoli Insurance.

With the permission of the Tripoli Prefect, any launch can be reconfigured as a Tripoli Research Launch.

March 24,
April 21,
May 26, (LDRS is the weekend previous to this.)
June 9,
July 21,
August 11,
September 29, (BALLS is the weekend previous to this.)
October 20, and
November 17. (Thanksgiving is the following weekend.)


November Launch CANCELLED due to winter storm

posted Nov 3, 2017, 3:39 PM by Steve Shannon

Big Sky Rocketry Association is sorry to announce the cancellation of the November 4, 2017 rocket launch that was scheduled for the Twin Bridges launch site.  It has been snowing for two days and it probably will get worse.  There's a Winter Storm Alert that spans Beaverhead, Madison, and Gallatin Counties until Saturday evening. Silver Bow County has its own Winter Storm Warning as well through Saturday morning. The passes and streets are icy and there's low hanging clouds from horizon to horizon. The waiver activation and the NOTAM have both been canceled. 
See you next year! 

Labor Day Launch Cancelled!

posted Sep 1, 2017, 7:26 PM by Steve Shannon

Due to continuing fire restrictions, we must cancel our Labor Day Rich Thorne Memorial Launch. More news when we know something.

July 22nd Launch Canceled- Fire Hazard

posted Jul 22, 2017, 12:39 AM by Steve Shannon

BLM has confirmed our own fears that the continuing hot weather and dry conditions make it too hazardous to launch rockets.  Our next scheduled launch is over the Labor Day Saturday and Sunday, weather and fire conditions permitting. 

2017 Launch Schedule

posted Jan 7, 2017, 1:14 PM by Steve Shannon

BSRA March Launch - March 25, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.,
BSRA April Launch - April 22, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.,
BSRA Greg Simpson Memorial Launch - May 27 - 28, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.,
BSRA June Launch - June 24, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.,
BSRA July Launch - July 22, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.,
August - No Launch
BSRA Rich Thorne Memorial Launch - September 2 - 3, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.,
BSRA October Launch - October 7, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., and
BSRA November Launch - November 4, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Greg Simpson

posted Dec 17, 2016, 8:37 PM by Steve Shannon

I'm very sorry to inform you all that our long time friend, flyer, club member, and club Secretary Greg Simpson passed away on Thursday, December 15th, 2017 due to a blood clot that traveled to his heart. We will all miss his infectious smile and cheerful personality. Although he hadn't had a chance to fly with us recently, he was hoping to fly with us this coming year and he had agreed to be re-nominated as Secretary.  Greg was a Navy veteran, a Deacon for his church in Billings, a father, husband, and all around terrific guy. The last time I saw him he was wearing a blue NASA jumpsuit and flying rockets. I will miss him.
Services are at St Thomas the Apostle Catholic Church in Billings as follows:
Vigil Service at 7:00 PM on Tuesday.
Funeral at 10:00 AM Wednesday.

Last Scheduled Launch - November 5, 2016

posted Nov 4, 2016, 9:28 AM by Steve Shannon

Just a reminder that our last scheduled launch for 2016 will be held tomorrow at our usual location. The hours will be 10 am – 4 pm.

I just checked the weather forecast. Everything looks great. Winds will be light. Temperatures will be chilly at first but will warm up nicely and it looks like skies will be clear. It could be one of the nicest launch days yet. I have activated the waiver to 32,000’ MSL for a high flying rocket.

So, bring your rockets, wear layers so you can enjoy the beautiful weather, and come launch with us!

Friday, October 14 Launch - Weather Warning

posted Oct 14, 2016, 6:36 AM by Steve Shannon

There's a very high possibility that today's launch will be cancelled.  I'm on my way to the field shortly, but wind and rain are in the forecast.  I'll deliver my trailer, pay for the Porta-potty and lay out the cables, but right now, as far as I know, I will be the only one there today. If it starts raining I'll probably leave the trailer there and cancel for the day.  I might hike the hills looking for Dale's and Calvin's various rocket parts.
If you decide to make the drive to the range today, call me first at 406 490-7855.

"Return to Launch" Launch - Two Day Launch, Friday, October 14 and Saturday, October 15.

posted Oct 2, 2016, 8:03 AM by Steve Shannon   [ updated Oct 2, 2016, 8:18 AM ]

Big Sky Rocketry Association is pleased to announce the end of Stage 1 restrictions for Madison County.  This means we are able to begin planning launch dates again.  We were unable to launch in August and September, so after some discussion Big Sky Rocketry Association has decided to have a two day launch in October.
Our scheduled launch for October was on the 15th, which is a Saturday.  After receiving very limited feedback from our members it appears that the preceding Friday works for the greatest number of people. 
Therefore, our October launch will be held on Friday, October 14 and Saturday, October 15.

1-10 of 34